Three consortiums featuring the world’s leading construction companies have been shortlisted to build the North East Link’s twin road tunnels.
Following a worldwide search, the Andrews Labor Government today announced the three bidders vying for the $7-9 billion major works contract, as part of a Public Private Partnership (PPP).
The three shortlisted consortia include some of the biggest construction firms in Australia and around the world:
- OneLink – comprising CPB Contractors, Samsung C&T Corporation, Egis Road Operations, UGL Engineering, Pacific Partnership, DIF Management Australia
- Spark – comprising Salini Impregilo, GS Engineering and Construction, China Construction Oceania, Broadspectrum Australia, Capella Capital, John Laing Investments, and advisors Lend Lease Engineering
- ViaNova – comprising John Holland Group, Acciona Construction, Lendlease Services, Plenary Group, Acciona Concesione
The project will connect the M80 with the Eastern Freeway linking key growth areas in the north and south-east. It includes upgrades to the Eastern Freeway, a dedicated Doncaster Busway, more than 25 kilometres of new and upgraded cycling and walking paths, and improvements to community facilities including local sports grounds.
The successful PPP builder will design the North East Link including the twin tunnels, new interchanges, freeway upgrades and shared use paths. They will also be responsible for building the twin tunnels under the Yarra River, and operating the entire road corridor from the Eastern Freeway to Hoddle St and the M80, once it is built.
Early works to prepare for major construction will commence following planning approvals in 2020 and will deliver a range of preparatory works including power, water and other utility works.
CPB Contractors have today also been appointed to lead the early works package, valued at more than $200 million, with planning work to start in the coming weeks. The works will be sequenced and coordinated to reduce disruption to residents, businesses and road users, and will reduce future disruption during major construction in 2021.
An Independent Inquiry and Advisory Committee Public Hearing for North East Link is currently being held in Bulleen until 13 September.
A contract for the PPP is expected to be awarded near the end of the 2020, with major construction to start in 2021.
“The world’s best construction companies have been shortlisted to help build Victoria’s largest ever road project, the North East Link.”
“The congestion busting North East Link will take 15,000 trucks off local roads, slash travel times for up to 135,000 motorists and create 10,000 jobs.” Jacinta Allan said.
- understand, manage, and negotiate fair and profitable contracts
- understanding complex infrastructure finance arrangements
- strategically planning impactful cities
- understand and utilise business finance
Our clients include:
AECOM, Jacobs, WSP, GHD, Laing O’Rourke, Fulton Hogan, Vision Australia, NSW Health Infrastructure, The City of Parramatta, The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, SMEC, Norman Disney and Young. Learn more.
Our programs are: