BUSINESS TIPS: Learn to use human-centered design for social innovation
June 27, 2017
Learn from IDEO.org to use human-centered design for social innovation
Human-centered design (HCD) is a creative approach to problem solving pioneered by the design firm IDEO.
This is an intensive, hands-on learning experience that will challenge you to get out of your chair and out into the real world to talk to people and test your ideas. You’ll leave this experience equipped and energised to apply the human-centered design process to challenges across industries, sectors, and geographies to generate breakthrough ideas.
What you will learn:
- The mindset and methods of human-centered design so that you can be more intentional about facing and solving your current challenges
- The power of human-centered design by experimenting with the principals
- How to identify patterns and opportunities for concept development
- How to approach challenges differently and experience how human-centered design can add new perspectives to your own work tackling poverty-related challenges
- Hands-on experience speaking to, prototyping for, and testing solutions with the people you're designing for
How it works:
You will work through the course with a group of 2-6 people we will refer to as your “design team". It's strongly recommended you form a team with people located in your city before starting the course but you will also have the opportunity to find a team using the course platform once the course starts.
You will learn the human-centered design process by applying it to one of three pre-crafted real world design challenges (provided in the course). You will also have a choice to craft your own challenge. Each week you will explore the main human-centered design concepts through readings, case studies, and short videos. Then you'll be expected to meet in-person with your design team to get your hands dirty practicing the relevant human-centered design methods.
Throughout the course you'll have the opportunity to interact and gain inspiration from design teams around the world taking the course with you and ask questions of experienced human-centered designers when you feel stuck.
Metis builds capacity for professionals in the following areas:
- understanding, managing and negotiatingcontracts
- understanding complex infrastructure finance arrangements
- strategically planning impactful cities
- understanding business finance
Our programs are:
- Contract Law Fundamentals
- Effective Contract Management
- Commercial Negotiations
- Strategic Planning for Impact
- Business Finance for Managers
Our blog includes news, tips and policy updates for those who are designing, building and serving our cities. Read our other blog posts here.
Our clients include:
AECOM, Jacobs, WSP, GHD, Laing O’Rourke, Fulton Hogan, Vision Australia, NSW Health Infrastructure, The City of Parramatta, The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, SMEC, Norman Disney and Young. Learn more.