2016 census data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics shows NSW’s population is becoming more diverse.
- NSW’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population has grown by more than 50 per cent between 2011 and 2016. With more than 216,000 people, Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders make up 3 per cent of the state’s population.
- The share of NSW population born overseas has increased by 3.5 per cent over the past 10 years to reach 34.5 per cent, or almost 2.6 million people in 2016.
- Over the last decade, the number of people in NSW born in the UK has decreased, falling from 14 to 10 per cent of our overseas born population. At 268,000 people, NSW’s UK born population makes up 3.5 per cent of the state’s population.
- The share of people in NSW born in mainland China has doubled from 114,000 in 2006 to 234,500 in 2016 and contributes to almost 10 per cent of the overseas born population.
- The combined number of people born in the UK and China accounts for about half a million people. The remaining two million born overseas have a broad mix of origins.
- People born in India are the fastest growing overseas born group in the NSW, increasing from 57,000 in 2006 to 143,500 in 2016, is a 150 per cent increase.
- The number of people born in the Philippines has grown from 57,770 in 2006 to 86,750 in 2016.
- The number of people born in South Korea has grown from 33,200 to 51,800 between 2011 to 2016.
Analysis provided by the Economics, Population and Land-use Analytics Branch which provides advice, analysis and insights on population, household and dwelling projections; economic issues related to the land-use planning system; economic analysis on housing and employment markets; and monitoring and forecasting of land and housing supply and targets, employment land and jobs targets.
Metis builds capacity for professionals to:
- understand, manage, and negotiate fair and profitable contracts
- understanding complex infrastructure finance arrangements
- strategically planning impactful cities
- understand and utlise business finance
Our clients include:
AECOM, Jacobs, WSP, GHD, Laing O’Rourke, Fulton Hogan, Vision Australia, NSW Health Infrastructure, The City of Parramatta, The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development, SMEC, Norman Disney and Young. Learn more.
Our programs are: